How to Get the Best IP Camera and Door Access Systems
Remember the old idiom that “you get what you pay for.” We seem to learn this over and over again. We rarely get a real bargain, yet we always look for the best deal. This article provides guidance that helps ensure that you get the best price for your IP camera and door access systems. More importantly, we will ensure that you get the security system that meets your expectations.
It’s convenient and sometimes less expensive to purchase stuff on Amazon. Even security products such as door access control and IP camera systems from China are available from discount Internet sites. Yes, these Chinese alternatives have a low initial cost, but there are hidden costs.
The Challenge of Purchasing the Right Security Equipment
We constantly search for the least expensive solution. I once talked to someone on the phone about their application. We discussed what they wanted to see, where they would be mounted, and their objectives. Based on this analysis, I recommended an IP camera that costs about $400. They then asked about another camera that sold for about $250. I told them I could provide that camera, but it wouldn’t do what they wanted. They were very insistent that I sell them the low-cost camera. Based on this conversation, I explained that they couldn’t return the low-cost camera if it didn’t meet their requirements. They purchased the camera. About four weeks later, I received a call from them saying that the camera didn’t do what they expected. After reminding them about our previous conversation, they asked what they could do. I told them they could purchase the camera I had recommended before and use the cheap camera in a different location. They finally took my advice and became a long-time customer.
We get calls from people who have purchased access control devices or a cheap IP camera and can’t install it. They are finally faced with the reality that there is more to buying a security system than the initial cost.
What to Consider Before Purchasing Your Door Access Control System
Here are some things to consider before purchasing your access control system.
- If you want to control only one door or many doors, you will need a different type of system. You may also want to control what floor an elevator goes to or maybe a gate to the parking lot.
- Do you want to use traditional card credentials, your smartphone, or biometric recognition? Each type of credential requires different hardware and software.
- How easy is the installation? Some access control systems connect directly to the network, include the power in the network connection, and have a pigtail with all the wires that control the door.
- Do you need help installing the hardware and software?
- Do you want technical support after the installation?
You may think you know what you need, but purchasing an inexpensive system over the Internet can lead to trouble and extra expense. Experts guide you to a solution that meets your needs and is the least expensive.
What to Consider Before Purchasing Your IP Camera System
As a reminder, the IP Camera system comprises cameras and software. There are lots of camera choices. Unfortunately, many people think that any camera will work. The problem is not only how much the camera costs but whether or not it sees what you expect. For example, you may be looking at a parking lot and be able to see the vehicles but can’t read the license plate or see a person’s face. You may need a higher-resolution camera or one that can see in the dark. Defining your objectives is critical to getting the right camera system solution.
Here’s a checklist to use to help you define your requirements:
- Do you want cameras for outdoor or indoor applications (or both)?
- Describe what detail you would like to see (in each area).
- Do you want to see people or vehicles?
- Do you want to be able to identify the person’s face?
- Do you want enough resolution to identify a license plate?
- Do you want to see it at night? Do you have lights in the area? How much lighting is available?
- Cameras also come with built-in IR illuminators.
- How far away do you want to see at night?
- How far away are the objects you want to see?
- How wide is the field of view? This is the viewing area). Distance and field of view affect the lens and the resolution required
- How many cameras do you think you would need?
- Do you want to record the video? How long a period do you want to record the video?
- Do you want to be notified of alarm conditions such as motion detection, line crossing, removed object, left object, etc.?
Once you have reviewed your requirements, get in touch with us. Let us know what your objectives are, and describe the application. Our engineering staff will ensure you purchase the right system.
Summary of How to Get the Best Security System for Your Money
Like anything else you purchase, it’s challenging to get the system that meets your requirements and yet doesn’t cost more than is necessary. Sometimes hidden costs such as support and service make the product more expensive than expected. It’s best to review your objectives before making the purchase.
If you would like help selecting the best security system, please contact us at 1-800-431-1658 in the USA or 914-944-3425 everywhere else, or use our contact form.